Routes to full membership
There are 3 pathways to gaining full membership to the MACP:
- UK based MSc level course
- Reciprocal Recognition
- Portfolio route
Please note that when you apply for membership - payment will be taken up front. Our team will need to validate your application so there will not be immediate access to MACP member benefits. This process will take a maximum of 4 weeks. If it is evident that you are not eligible for membership we reserve the right to apply an administration fee to your application refund.
UK MSc Courses
There are a number of university MSc courses accredited by the MACP that lead to MACP membership. These courses follow the guidelines set out by IFOMPT to ensure clinical and educational standards.
Courses Leading to Membership IFOMPT Guidelines
The MACP welcomes applications from individuals who are current members, in good standing, of any full member organisation of IFOMPT
For information regarding full member organisations of IFOMPT see go to IFOMPT Membership Organisations.
- Applicants must provide third-party evidence in support of your application, which must include:
- Name of Membership Organisation (MO)
- Evidence of membership e.g. certificate of membership,
- A signed letter of support from either your MO administrator, Chair or Secretary stating that you are a current member of their MO
Join through Reciprocal Recognition
The Portfolio Route offers an alternative route to membership to the MACP and is relevant to physiotherapists who are able to provide sufficient evidence that they are able to fulfil the criteria required for membership by the MACP and the 10 IFOMPT dimensions. This evidence is collated by the applicant and submitted in a portfolio format with support and guidance provided by the Portfolio Handbook and Portfolio Route Leaders.
This route to the membership via the Portfolio Route is particularly relevant to those:
- Chartered Physiotherapists who have successfully completed modules/units of study in a Higher Education Institution (HEI) that can be mapped against the 10 IFOMPT dimensions and associated learning outcomes
- Chartered Physiotherapists who have successfully completed modules/units of study as part of an approved route to full MACP membership, but who may not have had the opportunity to undertake a period of clinical mentorship/ clinical placement.
- Physiotherapists who were previously a member of an IFOMPT Member Organisation, but are unable to join through reciprocal recognition
- Physiotherapists who are able to evidence the fulfilment of the 10 IFOMPT dimensions through a range of approaches to learning e.g. taught MSK or research modules
The portfolio route offers two pathways (standard and accelerated) to accommodate different levels of educational and clinical experience
Please note that when you apply for membership - payment will be taken up front, our team will need to validate your application so there will not be immediate access to MACP member benefits. If it turns out that you are not eligible for membership then we reserve the right to apply an administration fee to your application refund.
Further information about Portfolio Routes